• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

"Cherokee Hop"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
You know- Short/Soft field, accelerate with flaps up, reach Vx speed and drop two notches of flaps while rotating.

Now apart from the whole risk management side of this, getting into the numbers game, does anyone know if there is actually any merit to not having that little bit of drag for a couple hundred feet?

In the air, I don't doubt 25* of flaps adds drag. But going from 0 to 55 mph with flaps down, I don't see how it adds enough drag to increase the takeoff roll or decrease acceleration vs having them up. The airframe itself is already so draggy, I can't see it doing any bit of difference.

I seem to recall a thread a long time ago in where someone actually ran the numbers to it and determined there was a marginal difference, but nothing substantial. I can't seem to find it now.

Latest posts

Back