• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

"glides like a brick"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerooster

Reaction score
After 5 years of owning this 140, and many more years of owning/flying other 140s and 180s. All hershey bar wing. I've yet to find where that "glides like a brick" comes from.
Just today, I went flying, and was doing touch and go. Decided to perform some power off 180* approaches. Abeam numbers pull power, pitch for best glide, turn toward runway, quite high, pull in full flaps for drag, slow to 70, still high, slip from base to final all the way to kick and flare, and still hit 1000 feet long. So, next go, I pull power abeam numbers, white arc, full flaps, aggressive slipping turn to final, still slipping, to the flare, and end up about 500 feet long. Next go, pull power abeam the numbers, pitch for best glide, flew normal pattern, saving flaps for the last minute. On final, I was still high, cranked in all flaps, slowed to 65, slip aggressively, to about the right altitude, kick out and touch down just past the numbers. All speeds given are MPH. Last test; At 3500 msl, 6 miles out pull power to idle, pitch for best glide, make straight in approach. FE is 1500, at about 2 miles out, I add 2 notches flap, more for drag than lift, hold best glide, 1 mile out, add last notch flap, hold best glide. 1/2 mile out, high, slow to 70. and slip some. still a tad high, slow to 65 sink rate increases, and I come over the fence at 65, full flaps, and mild slip, to just touch the top of the numbers. So I seriously doubt all this "glides like a brick" thing.

Latest posts

Back