• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 180 and deice spray

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekboy

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1965 Cherokee 180 and this is my first winter owning it. I have installed an engine heater and make sure the heater has run for a day before flying. I try to keep the engine heater unplugged when I don't anticipate flying for a week or more to avoid buildup of moisture, as I've heard this can be a problem. The plane is kept in an astroport which offers overhead protection, but not completely protection on the sides. So snow and other weather does buildup during the days I do not fly.

The paint on the plane is in fairly good shape (2001), but not perfect. During the preflight yesterday I noticed some ice buildup from the past few days of sitting on the backside of the wings. Mostly on the flap and aileron. I was hesitant to use an icre scraper, thinking it might mess up the paint. Another pilot gave me a can of Pyroil Deicer. It worked really well. I was about to order it and figured I should have first about how it might affect the paint or airframe. I imagine it's mostly alcohol but have no idea about if I should be using this chemical to get rid of the ice. Any advice? I will note again that there was no visible precipitation when I was flying in the winter. The ice was on the plane from the previous days weather.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094ANNHO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back