• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 140 fuel consumption question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rneuharth

Reaction score
My partner and I have a 1971 Cherokee 140 with an O-320-E3D 150 hp engine. The book says the fuel consumption should be 8.4 gal/hr at 75% power. We seem to burn considerably more than that, more in the 9.5 to 10 range. I tend to cruise at around 2550 or even 2600 rpm when I have to get someplace and the burn is a bit more than 10 even when I get to an altitude where I can lean. Even at lower rpm settings it seems to burn in the 9+ range.

Is anyone familiar with this engine? Is it just thirsty or is there something that can be done other than really throttle back.

Previously I had a 180 with an O-360 that burned 9.5-10 and another 140 with an O-320 E2A that burn in the 8.5 range so this one baffles me.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back