• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Calculating a fair rental rate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you calculate a rental rate for your aircraft for casual rental usage? I own a Piper Dakota and plan to fly it about 150 hours per year as a hobby/personal use. I am comfortable with the calculations to determine operating costs (insurance, hangar rent, loan payment, annual costs, engine/prop reserve, avionics subscriptions, misc. maint, fuel, oil).

Not planning to do a leaseback or generally rent the aircraft out to just anyone, but I know a few CFIs who I have flown with that have significant time in PA28s (and Dakotos), fly the way I'd want them to in my airplane, and am comfortable with renting to them for personal travel and time-building (not instructing!). I would prefer to calculate a dry rate. Do not expect rental usage to exceed 50 hours a year.

Seems like I should add up annual costs excluding aircraft financing payment and fuel (insurance + hangar + annual + engine/prop reserve + avionic subscriptions + oil) then divide by 200 expected hours to arrive at a dry rate. Am I missing anything or overlooking something? Appreciate the feedback!

Latest posts

Back