• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Insurance: Make and Model sub-type qualification requirements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Em1

Reaction score
I fly a Piper Turbo Arrow IV. It is designated PA28U for ATC purposes and is categorized in parts ordering, etc. as a PA28RT-201T.

I am going through the process of getting my insurance renewal. A pilot who I fly with as part of being a fire service volunteer is two hangers over. That pilot is a CFI Commercial pilot, instrument rated with over 5,000 total hours, over 1,000 instrument hours, and also over 1,000 retractable hours, who has multi-engine and turbo prop time hours in his career as well. He flies a PA28 probably several times a week throughout the year since that is the model the state provides for his fire service support flying. I wanted to add him as a 'named pilot' on my policy so he could do instruction with me in my plane and if I should ever need it, he could fly it on his own if, for example, I broke my leg skiing and wanted to get it back to my hanger.

The above basic information along with medical and BFR dates, etc. were submitted to the insurance company, including total PA28 time. However, the broker won't submit it to the underwriter without specific PA28RT-201T time noted. I believe it is unreasonable to expect a CFI to go through what amounts to over five logbooks of flight records for 5,000+ hours to parse out this very specific sub-type from among all the aircraft this gentleman has flown. I know he has done it for the aircraft he has qualified type ratings in for commercial employment needs. But chasing down Arrow time, then turbo Arrow time, and then T-tail Arrow time seems pretty non-nonsensical with the level of qualification outlined. Especially given say a T-tail arrow landing speed is like 3-knots different than a non-T and commercial turbo prop time might just be a hair more qualification than the turbo in an Arrow.

What has been the experience of others with Arrow IV turbo's or any other relatively sub-type secret code different aircraft from the general model been in insurance requirements in situations like this?

Latest posts

Back