• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec - slips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff K

Reaction score
One of my favorite tools to tame a high approach in the PA32/PA28 was slips, but I don't see much discussion of this in either the Aztec or twin world. Not a good idea or just underused? If the later any tips on those?

Back to more generic things, my instructor taught a bit different then the book. Had my at 15", 110mph turning on base, 100mph on final. I believe the book says 12 or 13". I'm tending to find myself consistently hot and high with his numbers. I do however have vortex generators which might account for the delta. I was thinking of trimming at least 5mph off of those and trying it then. Like to hear some others thoughts as to how they fly them. Also how does the Aztec behave behind the power curve and about where is that? I know the PA32 was flying at 70-75mph but it wasn't out of the well until at least 85mph. I suspect it's less then VMC in the Aztec, so I'll never be there on takeoff, but may be on landing (when committed).

So far, liking the airplane quite a bit, lots of little squawks I am swatting still, but coming together. My only thing I really don't care for is the pitch up with the flaps coming in. I've got some more work to do there.

Latest posts

Back