• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

The new cylinders, update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An update to the initial thread ...

Well, I'm at 32 hours on the new cylinders. Did an oil/filter change and inspection at the 10 hr mark. All was well. Will do another oil/filter change and inspection at the 35 hr mark.

Engine is running well, the CHTs are drifting down. I'm running WOT best power (125F ROP) anywhere from 70% to 75%, in the 7000 to 9000 range. The bit of chill in the air (but not too much) is perfect break in weather. I am now able to run 75% best power and keep all the cylinders below 410F. The analyzer sure makes it easy to titrate, keeping the temps up, but not too high, in a Goldilocks range. To give you an idea of the trend, during the run-in in the first two hours, as I positioned myself in a hold over the airport (and operating in keeping with the Lyc SB), I would push 440F at best power 75%, had to enrich to keep it down.

I am still on Phillips M, as per Lyc recommendations for NA engines. I'm now about a quart every 7 hrs, expect usage will still reduce a bit more. Oil is transparently clean, but then it has no detergents. Winter is coming, and already icing is limiting air time on many days. I am thinking of switching to Phillips X/C for this next change, but of course no Camguard yet.

The engine is running very smoothly. We are all in tune with our planes, and any change to sounds we notice. I noticed such a change (for the smoother) I at first started thinking I should check to see what's wrong. Well I did check anyway, but accept it as just the sound of a smoother running engine now.

I will continue to run best power to keep the temps up until at least 50 hours. Consistent with general thinking now, the Lyc O540 engine manual advises for normal cruise operations that you can operate either best power, or just LOP in the best economy range, I'll transition to my normal routines some time after 50 hours.

Not a drop of oil on the cowling, and none of the cylinders have rocketed off their bases. The Boys did a great job.

The sting of all those expended AMUs is starting to fade!

* Orest

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back