• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec - grass field

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff K

Reaction score
Looking at flying into this field this weekend:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/66G

2530' turf, in good condition. Found some photos of the field, it appears to be well used, nice grass shortly mowed. I'll also call for field conditions. Approaches are clear on both ends.... a 100' power line tower maybe 2500 feet off one end.

Any thoughts on going in here? I will be 600-800lb less then gross. On concrete I'm consistently lifting off 950-1050', and able to roll out after landing with my turn at 2200' with barely an issue.

I've done a couple grass field landings/takeoff's (at my home field 5000') but I will touch up my technique. I will be flying it like a single (cut all power if I lose an engine before gear up) if I go into this field although I think my worst case scenario would be a gear collapse if I run off the end. That said, my accelerated stop distance is 2200 feet so even that in theory shouldn't be an issue. Oh, and done quite a bit of grass field work in a single.

On the Aztec, 1/4 flaps and rotate right at 80mph and nurse it in ground effect until blueline/Vx the best takeoff scenario? I have VG's, flap gaps and Metco tip's if that makes a difference. I'll practice all this before hand.

12980707874_065c0f92f0_o.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back