• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aspen VFR, CGR-30p

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregplatt

Reaction score
I'm new to the society and I'm actually just finishing up my private pilot certificate. Instead of renting I purchased a 1978 Archer 2 and it's worked out really well for me so far, just went through my first annual with no real problems!
I'm thinking of upgrading to an Aspen VFR panel, the new one that can be upgraded to the PRO version. I've already decided to upgrade the tach to an EI CGR-30p basic, since it's a great deal and I wanted better fuel and engine info, it's only $2300 after rebate before install!
Since were doing that install I figured I could save some labor on the aspen install. My Attitude indicator is just horrible, and really needs to be replaced. I can get the Aspen VFR for $4400. It replaces the AI and DG. I think that this is the way to go for me because even though I'm going to work on my IFR cert in this plane I don't think it's worth going with the PRO version out of the gate. My other avionics are dated and probably not worth the work of integrating them with the Pro panel, I can always upgrade the software in the future. I have a Garmin gx50 gps, king kns 80 and an old king backup nav radio. I'd continue to use the Dual King OBS indictors for the nav radios.
Am i missing anything here or does this sound like a good idea?
Greg

Latest posts

Back