• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Arrow III gear hydraulic powerpack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
Lately I've noticed aperiodic difficulty with my Arrow's gear operation. Today I learned from my shop doing my annual that I need a replacement for my "unfixable" HYC5005 hydraulic power pack. Apparently, the power pack gear pump kept running after the gear was retracted and it turns on and off intermittently retaining the pressure (yes, I'd recently noticed that my "Gear in Motion" lamp would suddenly light up regardless of my flight orientation or the absence of any turbulence, and just as suddenly go off). After troubleshooting what they could they say the power pack pump's internal check valve is not reparable by them. I think Aerospace Turbine Rotables (Wichita) is very reputable and supplies refurbished units, as well as Power Packs Plus (Reno). But with the recent jump in prices for everything, the shop said it might cost me close to 4 amu now (not including the core return, which the shop provides). That's a hunk of change, but obviously, I need landing gear, and I'm not sure whether these power pack units are manufactured today. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Ymmit
(1978 Arrow III)

Latest posts

Back