• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Turbo Lance Gear issues...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windflite

Reaction score
Hello all, I've got a 1978 Turbo Lance that I've owned and flown for 5 1/2 years (600 hours) or so. The only landing gear issue that I've ever had occured in the first year and was a simple adjustment to one of the mains as my then A&P (may he RIP) correctly identified that it was slightly loose against the limit switch. Fast forward to my May annual this year where my current A&P (2nd year at a new shop to me) called and said that when they put the plane on the stands it cycled the gear one time - and then would not raise the gear again. The report was that the pump showed voltage on both the up and down terminals simultaneously - and that I needed an replacement (overhauled) pump. $3600 for a pump, 3 weeks, and about 13 hours of additional pump related labor I flew the plane on a 3 hour cross country with no issues. On the return 3 hour trip, the ammeter began to spike from 20 to 40 amps every 3 seconds - and the gear warning light came on. I pulled the landing gear breaker and the spiking stopped, which confirmed that the pump was cycling. (I was able to drop the gear and land without incident.) I then flew the plane back to the shop (gear down!) where they checked the pump hydraulic fluid, noted it was down 1/2 quart - and pulled the pump with me there (in about 2 hours) and declared that the pump housing itself was leaking internally causing the cycling of the gear. They sent the pump back to the overhaul company (Power Packs Plus LLC) who 'fixed it' by resealing the halves. Further at their suggestion, the A&P also replaced the manifold spring. (I'm not sure what either of those things actually look like -- but that is what I was told). Today I picked up the airplane, complete with another 13 hours of invoiced labor, and flew on a 20 minute flight. On the positive side, the ammeter surges are gone...On the negative side, the 'gear unsafe' light did come on again -- and after a bit (minute or two?) you can hear (pop in the headset) the gear cycle 'pulling the gear back up' and the light goes off. Called the A&P and he simply stated; 'this is going to get expensive because I can only start replacing things until we find whats wrong. It's not the pump because we raised the gear on the stands, let it sit overnight, and it did not fall at all.'

FWIW, it's already expensive! ;-( Therefore I thought I'd share with this esteemed crowd and see what advice you may offer for next steps. I also don't understand why the gear would fall (albeit very slightly) in flight and not fall on the stands overnight? Not sure if he 'pulled' on the gear to get a limit switch to come on, but at this point I do not intend to return to the A&P as, unfortunately, his demeanor is no longer collaborative. He basically just wants me and my problem to go away as its clearly not convenient for him. All I know is that I had an airplane that was working fine when I dropped it off for annual - and now I've got a gear issue. Not sure what to check next but would welcome thoughts - including any referrals to 'piper gear' experts near NE Tennessee (Tri-Cities). Ugh!

Thx in advance.
Andy
N2247A

Latest posts

Back