• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Arrow Auto Gear Extend Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerso

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1979 Arrow IV. The gear doesn't retract when the auto gear extend is in the normal position. Turns out the previous owner always took off with the auto extend disabled, then put it back into normal for cruise.

I went out and tested the system to see what speed the gear would retract at and what speed it would auto-extend at. I took off, put the gear selector up, and the gear didn't retract even as I accelerated up to 109 knots (the max gear retract speed). I disabled to auto gear extension to get the gear up. If you then put the auto gear extend back to normal and slow the airplane, the gear auto extends at 85 knots.

According to the POH, the auto gear extend system should retract at speeds above approx 75 kts, and extend at a speed below 95 kts. So only the retract side of the system is not working.

Are the speeds the system is triggered at adjustable?

Latest posts

Back