• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Archer prebuy advice and 1st purchase questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyPilotPro

Reaction score
I am in the market to buy my first airplane...more than likely an Archer or 180 as that is what I rent right now and am comfortable with flying. One of my buddies bought a Cessna 172 a couple years ago and he used a buyers agent because the airplane was in FL and he lives near me in PA. He advised me to look into it as the likelyhood of me finding airplane locally is slim to none. I am apprehensive to spend "adult money" on an airplane sight unseen. I posted a generic request for help with buyers agent recommendations on another forum and was immediately met with "you have no business buying an airplane" if you're asking that question. To the credit of the other forum members, there was quickly a "don't pay attention to him, he's grumpy" comment and they gave advice to do it myself and get a solid prebuy inspection done instead. My budget is up to $60K. I have a couple questions:

1. Does anyone have a check list of what I'm looking for in a prebuy?
  2. How much can I expect to pay for a prebuy inspection?
  3. What are some pitfalls of a prebuy to be aware of?
  4. Any general advice to a first time buyer?
  5. I will get my IFR rating with this airplane. What are things to look for with this in mind?
  6. I'm apprehensive about spending up to $60K sight unseen...should I be?
  7. Is there any questions I am not asking that I should be as a first time buyer?

I apologize in advance if I've posted in the wrong board, am asking silly questions, or should already know the answers. The bottom line is this is my first airplane purchase and I'm sure there are those who can give me expert advice. This advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Best,

mkb

Latest posts

Back