• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Ammeter electrical issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckclaye

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Cherokee 180C. It has an intermittent issue where the ammeter goes to zero for no reason and the battery shows a discharge. When I cycle the master (sometimes) it will show a reading on the ammeter for a short period of time and revert back to the zero ammeter reading. When the ammeter shows amps the voltmeter reads 13.5 to 13.7 volts. When the ammeter goes to zero the voltmeter immediately reads in the 11.5 to 12.0 range and shows a slow discharge. I can cycle all of the switches (Fuel pump, landing light, nav lights etc...) on and off and the ammeter only zeroes when it wants to. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I had some recent avionics work done and afterwords this became more common. I had my AP look at it and he fixed some loose connections but the problem still exists. Anyone had an issue like this before? I know electrical gremlins can be costly and before I spend a ton of time and money I figured I would see if I could get some expert counsel. I live in Arlington, TX if someone could suggest a good place to take it.

Regards,

Clay

Latest posts

Back