• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Air Oil Separators - Airwolf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I installed Airwolf air oil separators on my 1982 Seneca III a week ago. I was looking for anyone who has had experience with using Airwolf or any other brands of air oil separators. I purchased my Seneca 5 months ago. a 300 hour and 1700 hour engine on TSIO360-KB with turbo chargers. 220 hp. I was getting oil coming out of the breathers. More out of the low time engine but I cleaned the bottom of the wing almost every flight. Very annoying but the mechanic said they have a tendency of breathing out oil. I did not have much consumption but amazed the amount on the bottom of the wing. By the way compression is good on both engines and there are no leaks on either engine. So I installed Airwolf separators flew a 2.5 hr flight and on decent I started loosing oil pressure. I was shooting an approach into low overcast with plenty of ice so I did not want to shut down engine. After landing I checked and was down to 2.25 qts in high time engine and low time engine down by 1 qt. Oil all over bottom of high time engine wing and puddle of oil at the base of the scat tube of the separator. Even the low time engine had oil under wing - again. After cutting open the filter and with no metal in filter I filled up oil, disconnected the separator on the high time engine and flew 45 min legs to verify oil and all seemed OK all the way back home and is currently in shop as they are trying to figure out what happened. Does anyone have any experience with this? good or bad?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. I know they have talked to Airwolf but with the Holiday around us not a lot of info yet but they said it was hooked up properly.

1 week later I picked up the airplane and flew it 3 hours after we disconnected the Rt engine Airwolf. We also bagged the breather to see if I was blowing out oil. After 3 hours of flying all was normal. 7 qts in each engine and 7 qts after 3 hours. I looked at the installation and also the directions and all is properly installed. (just like the mechanic said) Very frustrated. Any input or opinions? (BTW it is a very simple system nothing is clogged. We don't understand why it became a vacuum)

Latest posts

Back