• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

ADS-B remote to IFD/GTN vs stand alone Transponder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgiles74

Reaction score
I am wanting those of you whom have flown with both remote mounted transponders as well as stand alone units opinion. I am upgrading to IFD 440 and have the option to have the AXP 322 remote or the separate unit like the AXP 340.

First question I know you will ask me is do I have panel space? Yes, that will not be an issue.

Second question, what type of flying will I do. I am about to start my Instrument rating training.

So with that all being said the cost difference appears to be negligible.

The pros over the remote control is a cleaner looking panel with less places to focus my eyes and 1lb less weight on each and every future flight.

The pros of having a stand alone units like the AXP 340 or other transponder is if the IFD fails, I can still have an operational transponder and immediate access to entering squak codes.

What else should I consider? Will having a stand alone unit make IFR flying that much easier? Don't you tend to enter IFR SQUAK codes once and then it remains the same for the duration of the flight or does it change with IFR flights much?

Will I regret not having a stand alone unit?

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back