• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin G5 vs GI 275 vs ASPEN E5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was close to entering into a proposal to install two Garmin G5s. I was waiting for one additional proposal when the manager of that avionics shop called me to inform me that the new Garmin GI 275 was just announced that day. He said this was a game changer and that he already sold the new unit to three customers. He said he would send me a proposal that included the installation of the two Garmin G5s vs the new Garmin GI 275.

I know there is another thread discussing the release of the new GI 275. There is some very helpful information in that thread. Also some guessing about the costs.

First, brief background about my current panel in my Archer II. I have both a 530 W and a 430 W. S-TEC 50 autopilot (with altitude hold but not altitude pre-select) coupled to both the 530 and 430 (switchable). GPSS steering (S-TEC ST-901 converter). Garmin Flightstream. Garmin GTX 345 all-in-one ADS-B transponder--also coupled to both the 530 and 430. JPI 700 engine data management system. Garmin GMA 350c Bluetooth audio panel. Also two Garmin 106A CDIs.

As I said, I intended to install two G5s. (The only reason I had not already proceeded is that every shop I contacted was backed up until late March at the earliest to as late as August.) The one G5 will be the Attitude Indicator. The other G5 will be an electronic HSI with GPS nav interface. That will include the GMU 11 magnetometer (installed in wing) and the GAD 29B interface to the S-TEC 50 autopilot and to the 530 and 430. I also am getting the OAT sensor temperature probe (GTP-59) and the GAD 13E can bus adapter for the OAT probe. My work request also includes the removal of the existing vacuum system with the existing AI and DG.

I understand that one of my 106A CDIs must be removed with the installation of the G5 HSI configuration.

I contacted several avionics shops for quotes for the two G5s. My first quote from a well-regarded shop was $11,500 (that includes removal of the vacuum system) plus an additional $1,500 for the installation of the OAT temperature probe and bus adapter. That is $13,000 total. Way too high. A second shop quoted $8,500 plus $1,000 for the OAT probe plus $250 to remove the vacuum system. That is $9,750 total. I've received other quotes in between.

I received the quote from the shop that is also suggesting the alternative of two GI 275s. For the two G5s, their cost is $8,140 plus $875 for the OAT probe plus $760 for the removal of the vacuum system. That is $9,775 total. They can schedule me for late March. Incidentally, they are asking for deposit of 50% to schedule.

Their alternative quote for the GI 275 option includes the installation of two GI 275s--similar configuration to include a primary attitude indicator and the HSI indicator with autopilot interface. (I am told the S-TEC 50 is approved.) The cost is $11,595 plus the same $760 for removal of the vacuum system. That is $12,355 total. That is $2,580 more than the two G5s in comparable/similar configuration.

I asked if this also includes the OAT temperature probe. I was told it does, but his answer leaves a doubt in my mind since he implied that it "can be installed." He also said it will display on one of the pages when in the MFD mode.

I need to clarify a couple of things. I assume the HSI configuration includes the MFD and, naturally, the CDI--though I have not looked closely enough to understand the MFD configuration. I also assume the quote does not include the EIS configuration for the engine data information, which is not important to me since I already have the JPI 700.

The quote also provided the cost for the optional SVT enablement for the GI 275 attitude indicator to include synthetic vision. That is an additional $995. If I decided to go with the two GI 275s, I would get the synthetic vision.

So total cost of the two GI 275s together with the vacuum removal and to include synthetic vision is $13,350.

I've not had the opportunity to study closely the new GI 275. Again, there was some helpful information in the other thread. But I have a good deal more to research. I also want to talk to the avionics shop to be sure their is no misunderstanding as to what their quote includes (or does not include).

Any advice or suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. I have no doubt that anyone else who may be considering the installation of the G5 will be faced with the same question as to whether to stay with the G5 or pay the additional and go with the new GI 275.

Latest posts

Back