• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

About to Pre-Buy a 1975 Seneca II, Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilepolice

Reaction score
I've blurred the tail number to protect the seller as I'm not interested in making enemies.

Here's what I know about this bird:

Engine Times SMOH:
LH: 823.0 Tach + 433.5 (1256.5)
RH: 821.2 Tach + 434.5 (1255.7)
Prop times likely the same.

Equipment:
PS Engineering PMA6000M-S
Bendix/King CDI
Garmin GNC 300XL (En-Route, Approach only, Non-WAAS)
Garmin/King??? HSI
KX 155
Bendix IN-812A (Color Weather Radar)
Bendix/King KMD 150
JPI 760
15gal Nacelle Tanks
Vortex Generators
Leather Club Seating
Inflatable Door Seals
LoPresti Cowl
LoPresti Gap Seals

Negatives:
No FIKI
No Air Conditioning
First 10-15 years of airframe logs are MISSING/LOST

Problems:
Cylinder recently replaced, possibly on the left engine.
Lots of oil residue on the wing skin behind the left engine. Visible oil from some feed lines attached to the turbocharger.
Wings skins aft exhaust haven't been cleaned regularly, eating at paint.
Cracks in the stabilator.
Co-Pilot inflatable door seal doesn't inflate at the rear, leaving excessive wind noise (more than my cherokee if you would believe it)
Popping noise from the airframe near/at the passenger rear door/cargo door. My passenger reported feeling a popping sensation in the door hand rest at the same time that there was an audiable noise. (Seller thought something was rolling around, no evidence of that)
Altimatic IIIc Autopilot chases the heading bug back and forth, never achieving level flight. Friends have told me this is likely the turn coordinator lagging, needing overhaul.

Seller Photos: http://imgur.com/a/MD8dO
Photos I took: http://imgur.com/a/jdYAe http://imgur.com/a/sLpIO

I'm seriously tempted in sinking the money into flying a mechanic I trust from a pro shop out to this field and having him do the PreBuy, but I've got a few red flags popping up for me and I'm looking for others opinions about them.

Anyone want to take a stab at a fair price?

Anyone have experience with the Continential TSIO-360's making it past TBO? If this guy has done one cylinder already, I'm wondering how close the other 11 are behind it considering their time. I don't have any quarts per hour numbers yet.
A good friend told me that the TSIO-360's he's known rarely see much past 1500, but that's anecdotal at best.

I'm not of the mind to overhaul an engine at TBO time, but you can't exactly fly around with 12 jugs making 0 psi either.

Thoughts from all you educated twin owners will be greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back