• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

About electric trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rykymus

Reaction score
Did most of my training on a mid 70's Warrior with electric trim and loved it. Bought a 98 Archer III that had electric trim, but somewhere along the line someone removed it when they installed the STEC-30 Autopilot. I really want to put electric trim back into this plane. Mechanic says all the wiring for the electric trim are still there, we'd just need to replace the servos or whatever you call them, as well as the trim switch on the yoke.

I can't imagine why they pulled the electric trim to begin with. As best I can tell, it was to make room for all the optional AP buttons on the yoke handle.

My first annual for this plane is in June, and I don't want to spend any money until after the first annual to make sure I can afford any gotchas that might come up. I was thinking about putting electric trim back into it in October. (I'm going to be gone for a few weeks, so I'm having the GPS upgraded from a 430 to a 430W to get WAAS.)

I was wondering what everyone thought. Why would they have removed the electric trim to begin with. (Nothing in the logs about it being faulty.) The STEC-30 doesn't trim the plane itself (just beeps and flashes a light at you to add up or down trim.) I expect to upgrade the autopilot in the future to something better, perhaps with Alt pre-select, etc...

In and all comments are welcome.

Latest posts

Back