• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

A sentimental picture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted this on the Piper Facebook group and it was well received. Figured I'd share here too.

I took this picture on Saturday at FD04 (Leeward Air Ranch) near Ocala, FL. There was a fly in on Saturday. It was the first fly in I've flown my own airplane into.

My dad lives nearby and flew in to meet us. Strangely, we barely even coordinated our meet up, but he ended up joining right downwind for 18 right behind me, lol. Couldn't have timed it better had we tried.

His is the airplane on the left and mine is on the right. He bought his in 1998. I was 16 years old and was about 9 months away, I guess, from getting my PPL. I had already soloed. But, I was a 10th grade high school student, ink still wet on my DRIVER's license, lol. My parents were still married then. Life was so different. But, I have pictures and memories of flying that airplane when I was still growing hair in new and strange places.

It's a cool shot here, to me, to see across twenty years of time. The idea of owning an airplane one day, when I used to fly his regularly, was just a dream. So out of sight! I think around 16 is when I got my first job straightening shelves at K-Mart for $5.20 an hour! Just very cool for me to stop and look at this picture now as a 37 year old guy and see these symbols of the past and the present/future in a single frame. His is a '68, mine is a '74. Both have a lot of history before we ever bought them. I guess mine, more than his did at the time he bought. But both airplanes, one so pivotal at the start of my aviation journey and the other so pivotal at a completely different, and much later, point upon that journey...both symbolic of huge "starts" of something cool really cool in aviation for me.

0779FBFB-AF93-4400-A194-30C671F9CB74.jpeg

Latest posts

Back