• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1968 Cherokee 180

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj_31

Reaction score
New to the forum and first off wanted to thank everyone in advance for all of the great info here.

First a courtesy disclaimer: I haven't searched through all of the posts here yet so if this one starts to sound a lot like a current one then please post the link and I'll be happy to peruse that one...

Looking to purchase into a partnership for my first plane. I've been looking around for awhile to own, but not ready to buy one outright even though I have the funds available to do so. Even though I prefer Pipers to most other models and they're in my price range for performance, I still would like to become familiar with ownership trials and tribulations before really investing some capital.

That being said, here are the factors:

While not a mechanic and certainly not an A&P, I have a very good mechanical skill set and enjoy working on engines, etc. The fact that said engine is attached to an airframe make it that much more enjoyable.
I do have access to an A&P/IA that is a personal friend of mine. Not a close friend but enough that we chat on occasion when our paths cross. I have helped him on a few occasions perform some annual work on his planes.

The 180 I am looking at is about 300 hours over TBO at 2300 and has a high time airframe (8000 hours). I have access to and have read through all of the logs dating back to new. All ADs have been complied, no damage history, and nothing major noted other than a part replacement here and there. It was used infrequently as a trainer years ago but has been privately owned in the southwest (read: arid) climate for the last 25 years. It will continue to be operated in the same environment.
The most recent annual was completed in December of 2012. Compression were 72, 74, 75, 71. No issues with oil sample. No corrosion found.

The initial investment/buy-in is minimal (under 5k). I did talk with the current owners and let them know that while I do agree with not ripping a perfectly good engine apart based on an arbitrary number, I do believe that it will need an overhaul at some point in the next few hundred hours. The two current owners would like to see it flown more with partners that contribute to an overhaul fund so that it takes the bite out of the overhaul bill.

Again, I don't mind taking on an older plane as there is a ton to learn and I have reasonable access to an A&P, my first concern will always be safety. We took the plane and it sounds and flies well.

I'm not looking for perfect and I'm leaning toward entering into the partnership, if not for anything other than a learning experience. What I'm really looking for is any serious deal-breakers for an older plane that you all may have run into over your aviation careers.

Another question: The annual was done at my local airfield by a shop that has been around for decades. What is the etiquette with regards to walking and and talking to the A&P that did the annual (assuming he's not busy). Is that cool or no cool?

Thank you all for any thoughts and insight.

Latest posts

Back