• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

150/160 vs 180, which to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amhst56

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
I am getting close to finishing my private pilot training and am starting to look for a Cherokee due to our club plane getting harder and harder to schedule.

I want to stay under $35000. In this price range for a nice plane it seems like an early to mid 60s 180 or an early 70s 150/160.

It's just me and my wife, no kids. We would be flying in the north east mostly, so no big mountains. I don't mind the slower speed of the 150, the reason I was looking into the 180 was for the baggage door (To maybe squeeze 2 folding bikes in) and the ability to take another couple for diner now and then.
When we would take another couple, the total weight of all 4 people would be about 700lbs.

I am also fasinated with Art Matson's mods due to some short grass runways out my way. And alot of the 150s have some of them.

Any thoughts comments questions etc that would help me narrow my search would be most helpful

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back