• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

X-Naut vs. the Arizona summer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I domicile on the surface of the sun.

Oh, excuse me. You know it as Arizona.

Upon returning last year from a long flying hiatus, I discovered the wonderful-ness of a cellular-enabled iPad mini running Foreflight. As I searched for a good mounting location (and purchased half of the RAM catalog), I finally landed on the left corner of the pilot-side windscreen. All was well, until my first thermal shutdown. Yay, iOS devices.

As last summer wore on, I dealt with a few thermal shut downs. I could delay or sometimes prevent them by keeping the unit off the windscreen until I was ready to depart, but any time the sun was decking the back of the case directly, I risked the black screen of death.

After swapping my 160 for a 235 and going through a few maintenance cycles, last weekend saw me back in the air...and saw my first thermal shutdown as I was climbing out of Mesa Falcon Field. It was a short flight, and I had no problem visually nav-ing to my home field. But it was flippin’ -April-...and also quite inconvenient to lose my eBrain just as tower cleared me for a frequency change to Mesa Gateway.

I’d eyeballed the X-Naut active cooling mount last summer, both for this application as well as a drone application. I experienced a few inopportune in-flight ipad shut downs on that platform last year, and an X-Naut (or a DJI CrystalSky, which we bought as well) was contemplated as a solution.

I pulled the trigger this week and the X-Naut landed yesterday. I’d had a chance to play with them a little bit at a local pilot shop, and they seem reasonably made. A bit spendy though they are, the ultimate test will be flying it this summer. It’ll either hang or it won’t.

I’ll update this thread as I put it through its paces. Right now, it’s still unmounted and untested. However, that’ll change in the coming weeks.

If this doesn’t work, a dedicated platform like a 696/796 may be the next move. That said, I -do- like he iPad and Foreflight, and would prefer to add those as a supplement, versus a replacement.

The panel pic below is from my old 160 - but demonstrates where this combo will be mounted. We’ll see how she fares. Primary power will be from a USB outlet or a supplemental battery in the left map pocket.

70839AE6-C647-426C-80C6-008F075D3473.jpg

BE40F09C-B198-4989-8CCC-4F35D7A0B912.jpg

Latest posts

Back