• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Winter time maintenance time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadadamsiii

Reaction score
So year before last I fought through winter in a very cold unheatable hangar to do some maintenance. It was absolutely miserable.This year I have maintenance to do again but it I really don't want to do it in my hangar. I am thinking of removing wings and engine and bringing the thing home to my nice 30x40 heated garage with TV and radio and all my tools and my kitchen and family right there. I would like to put new cylinders on, add some sound proofing and insulation, replace my broken overhead vent tubing, replace a few windows, paint my wings and repair some my fiberglass bits that always seem to be crumbling. Some avionics work and landing gear work will also be done.
I wish I had put in a two car garage door instead of three single 10 foot doors. I just cant imagine any way to get that plane in the garage with those darn wings on. I suspect I will be in maintenance for 4 to 6 months so it's worth it to do the work to remove the wings. Anyone here ever remove the wings? I have read all about how the tanks are supposed to stay installed unless they are on stands etc, I just wondered about any other suggestions from those that have actually done it.

Latest posts

Back