• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

What is Camguard - the answer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domenick

Reaction score
Edward Kollin, the developer of Camguard, was an active participant at the AOPA forums and others. Here is a compendium of Ed's comments and answers to tough questions from fellow forum participants.

======================================
Camguard can be thought of conceptually as the additive package I designed for Exxon. After I left Exxon, Greg Merrell from Aircraft Specialties asked me if I could develop an additive supplement with the same performance characteristics as those in what I done for Exxon. It took a year to reformulate what is now Camguard. It is substantially better than what I did for the Elite and it does not share any ingredients for legal reasons.

Because Exxon decided to copy the Aeroshell 15W-50, a obvious opportunity opened up before me.

Camguard contains 25 time the concentration of rust inhibitor(s) as Aeroshell 15W-50 or Elite. In Exxon's own ASTM 1748 Humidity cabinet corrosion testing Elite only demonstrates 4+ 2 days while the Aeroshell measures 2+ 1.5 days. Exxon claims Elite provides twice the protection as the Aeroshell. Camguard provides 18+9 days and while directionality is indicated, the ASTM1748 test method repeatability is horrible, which is why I do not use it.

=================
Camguard does not contain phosphate esters such as TCP. Phosphate esters hydrolyze (decompose in the presence of heat, metal and water, such as found in a crankcase) to form oil soluble phosphoric acid derivatives, which attacks copper and silicone seals (seal weeping).

Lycoming utilized TCP (now butylated triphenyl phosphate {bTPP}) in an effort to shift the liability for their scuffing/spalling cam/lifter problem to consumers. The problem is that "dry" scuffing is not the problem, corrosive pitting through the carburized hardened cam surface is. Rust on hardened surfaces such as cams and lifters is not uniform as it is on mild steel, it forms deep pits. Pitting lead to stress risers that leads to spalling failure.

With the scuffing AD and phosphate ester use so prevalent as it is, there should not be a single valve train failure, but I have not seen a decrease in the incidence of spalling failures in ten years.

=============
Camguard is not accepted for use in turbcharged aircraft engines. We designed a certification plan with the FAA but after submitting our data after 3 years (including turbocharges), which showed the best results on record our acceptance came without turbocharger approval and we were shocked. It appears some FAA people felt they should have been consulted.

Though it is not accepted for use in turbocharged engines fully one third of our sales are to people with turbocharged aircraft.

=============
I was directly involved in the disassembly of the Aeroshell 15W-50. I was in the room when we were informed that Elite would be an "advanced copy" (cheaper) of the Aeroshell 15W-50 and not a step out technology product. It only has 26% PAO synthetic base stock as compared to 50% in the Aeroshell. I left Exxon AFTER the Elite testing was complete and it was ready for release. My comments on rust test were meant to show that there is barely a significant difference between the Elite and the Aeroshell. They both contain 0.05% of a ferrous metal rust inhibitor. This is all they can use of that type without running into other problems. Exxons is just a little better than Shells. Camguard uses different technology.

============
Aeroshell 15W-50 / Exxon Elite
PAO synthetic base stock 50% / 26%
Dispersant (nitrogen) 3% / 3%
vicosity modifier (standard) 5% / 5% Viscosity modifier (dispersant)
Phosphate ester antiscuff 1% / 1.5%
Rust inhibitor 0.05% / 0.05%
Yellow metal inhibitor 0.05% / 0.05%
Anitfoam trace / trace

The other 40% of Aeroshell 15W50 and 65% of Exxon Elite are a blend of brightstock (heavy base stock) and solvent 600N (medium weight basestock). They are the mineral base stocks blended in proportion to meet the required viscometrics.

==================
I have an IO-520. I use Phillips 20W-50 in the fall winter and spring. I use Aeroshell W100 in the summer. Of course I use Camguard in both. I am in NJ.

There is no benefit to using W100 Plus with Camguard over W100 with Camguard. However, if you ARE using 100 Plus, Camguard mitigates the aggressiveness of the W100 Plus's phosphate ester antiscuff towards seals.

http://www.aslcamguard.com

Latest posts

Back