• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Weather-related accidents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweety

Reaction score
https://www.avweb.com/flight-safety/accidents-ntsb/weather-accidents/
One more reason for using CTAF and monitoring it at uncontrolled airfields is the check on runway use due to prevailing wind.

I've had cases where the wind was essentially calm and determining which runway was being used was important. In another case, I was approaching an airport and it appeared that the other guys were using the downwind runway direction. I went ahead and altered my approach...the wind was steady and fairly light... and after I landed I asked one other pilot, who was a CFI, why they did that. I was told that operating in that direction was advantageous for terrain avoidance. There was a subsatantial hillside in the other direction.

If I hadn't been monitoring CTAF quite a ways out I would have set up for a pattern opposing the traffic there.

Latest posts

Back