• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WAAS v Non-WAAS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guzziguy

Reaction score
Group:

I am currently working on my IR. My PA28R-180, while having dual VORs and GS lacks an IFR GPS or DME.

I'd like to have a backup to GPS, so I am considering installing a DME.

That being said, I recognize that a good IFR GPS can be invaluable in work load management, etc.

I'm looking at the GNS430 or 530 but am having trouble truly understanding what WAAS gets me for the money. I mean, the GNS430 was perfectly capable at flying any GPS approaches before WAAS, no?

Bear in mind, if I go with the 430, I'll need to also replace the GS indicator since it is so old it can't be driven by the 430.

Really just looking for a good, economical path forward to get my aircraft to a capable level for light IFR. Am I shooting myself in the foot by saving some $$ by opting for a Non-WAAS 430?

Tks

Latest posts

Back