• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

uAvionix (Aerovonics) AV-30 Certified - $1,995

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This seems perfect for me and I like the aesthetics.

From the AV-30 FAQs it says,

"If the installation configuration leaves no instruments that require a vacuum source, the vacuum pump system may be removed from the aircraft via a 337 field alteration process. The removal of the vacuum system is not included in the AV-30-C STC approval."

What is the purpose of that last sentence? A 337 will have to be filed no matter what, correct?

1. 337 is not needed to install AV-30. It will be covered under AML or STC (not sure which).
2. The STC does not cover vaccum removal. It's up to you to figure this part out.
3. If nothing uses the vaccum system you can file a 337 and remove it.

Realistically this won't do much for most of us until the AV-30 drives an autopilot. At least for me, the target is to use the AV-30 to replace the electric turn/slip gyro. Then it's wait-and-see what the autopilot features will be. G5 won't drive my autopilot pitch. Aspen costs too much to drive it. I don't have the budget to replace the autopilot in 2020.

... waiting for a better option I think.

Posting this here in case anyone is interested and missed it from other thread "uAvionix AV-30 as a Replacement for turn coordinator"
https://www.piperforum.com/threads/uavionix-av-30-as-a-replacement-for-turn-coordinator.18455

Thank for posting @philiplane and @msires
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC91-75.pdf

I read this not as"can you". Instead I read it as "you should".

Search for the thread about the crash at KPDK recently. Vaccum failure on takeoff. Dozens of others kill because turn coordinator is insufficient for IFR.

Last edited:
1. 337 is not needed to install AV-30. It will be covered under AML or STC (not sure which).
2. The STC does not cover vaccum removal. It's up to you to figure this part out.
3. If nothing uses the vaccum system you can file a 337 and remove it.

Realistically this won't do much for most of us until the AV-30 drives an autopilot. At least for me, the target is to use the AV-30 to replace the electric turn/slip gyro. Then it's wait-and-see what the autopilot features will be. G5 won't drive my autopilot pitch. Aspen costs too much to drive it. I don't have the budget to replace the autopilot in 2020.

... waiting for a better option I think.

I think this is a good option for me in addition to a TruTrak AP. Currently I don't have an AP, so anything is an improvement plus I'm in an area where I fly don't a lot of IFR. If the TT autopilot can follow the GTN's magenta line, that will be good enough for me. Selecting a track on the TT in lieu of heading for vectors in most cases for me will be good enough with fine tuning as necessary.

I get confused over 337 rules. So you're saying that removal of vacuum driven AI and HI and installation of a dual AV-30s is a minor alteration which does not require a 337? I asked because I was chastised for not having a 337 filed for installation of STCed sun visors. Replacing instruments seems to be on a completely different level than sun visors.

I think this is a good option for me in addition to a TruTrak AP. Currently I don't have an AP, so anything is an improvement plus I'm in an area where I fly don't a lot of IFR. If the TT autopilot can follow the GTN's magenta line, that will be good enough for me. Selecting a track on the TT in lieu of heading for vectors in most cases for me will be good enough with fine tuning as necessary.

I get confused over 337 rules. So you're saying that removal of vacuum driven AI and HI and installation of a dual AV-30s is a minor alteration which does not require a 337? I asked because I was chastised for not having a 337 filed for installation of STCed sun visors. Replacing instruments seems to be on a completely different level than sun visors.

Actually no. If you have a Century I, you don't need a vaccum. My comment only pertains to Century II and III because they use the vaccum gyros to drive pitch (CIII), roll and heading (CII).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here - STC and AML basically mean a 337 is not needed. Not sure why someone would tell you need one on an STC'd product.

If you have a Century 1 autopilot I would highly suggest just removing it :) It will save you a few pounds of weight. Other than being a wing leveler it doesn't do much. TrueTrak is a great option (that discussion is in another thread).

Meanwhile to make you safer in flight - the AV-30 could be a great option for you. But also consider your long-term. You might actually be a good candidate for a G5. It depends on if you ever plan on installing an autopilot or not.

Or if going TruTrak, Aspen E5 is the better bet as they are working together on integration. The G5's have limited integration and Garmin has no plans to help the TT guys, but that's another discussion.... The TT is a great affordable and easy to install autopilot, I highly recommend.

As far as STC/AML and 337.... Yes, you need a 337 when installing STC items. In the 337 you need to reference the STC/AML number, install manual numbers, the fact that you put the continued airworthiness and poh supplements in the proper places (I even include their part numbers in the 337 for all the paperwork just to be thorough). You also list the serial numbers of stuff coming out, stuff going in, etc....

I guess it is basically because an STC by nature (supplement to the original type certificate) means it is a major alteration....

The STC just gives permission to modify the airplane per the install manual.
A lot of guys think of the 337 as a field approval for a non stc item. A 337 is part of a field approval, but isn't one in the same. A 337 is legal if signed off by FSDO as field approval (good luck on getting that) or via STC.

That being said, I'm sure I've wasted a lot of time typing out some great 337's that NEVER EVER get looked at over at OKC, but they are good for the logbooks for any future owners of the airplane.

You might want to keep your options open with this offering from Uavionics. Taking pre-orders & assigning future release dates sounds really familiar. They’ve been doing the same thing for well over a year now with the matching wing tip recognition light for ADSB SkyBeacon. Still isn’t available.

You might want to keep your options open with this offering from Uavionics. Taking pre-orders & assigning future release dates sounds really familiar. They’ve been doing the same thing for well over a year now with the matching wing tip recognition light for ADSB SkyBeacon. Still isn’t available.
Exactly. Since many people here work in tech, you'll all be familiar with the term "vaporware".

Products don't exist when they're vaguely promised; they don't exist when they're officially announced; they don't exist when the company sets a target release date and starts taking deposits; they exist when they're actually shipping. Until then, they're just vapour.

Exactly. Since many people here work in tech, you'll all be familiar with the term "vaporware".

Products don't exist when they're vaguely promised; they don't exist when they're officially announced; they don't exist when the company sets a target release date and starts taking deposits; they exist when they're actually shipping. Until then, they're just vapour.
I'll be happy if I can get one by end of Q1. I'm assuming they'll want to have stock in time for Sun n Fun.

Noted.

Sort of like the STC Group and Trio...man I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

Agreed.

Here's a quote on a certification timetable (not shipping) from Uavionix at https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/#faqs:

"The AV-30-C is undergoing certification via the AMOC AML-STC process. This is a new risk-based certification methodology that is being supported for Part 23 Class I and Class II Aircraft. We expect to complete this certification by the beginning of Q2 2020."

Latest posts

Back