• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Trip report Los Angeles to KLAS Las Vegas my first Bravo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
Hey all just wanted to share a quick trip report. I needed to go to Vegas from L.A. yesterday with a producer to accept some awards for commercials I shot. We weren't sure if we could squeeze the trip in but pulled the trigger last minute. Due to the tight timing of getting out of work, into the air, to Vegas and to the awards show I decided to file IFR to McCarran KLAS. I had read a bunch of PIREPs about needing to file IFR to get in easily to McCarran.

We departed VFR around 5:20pm from Whiteman KWHP in Los Angeles. Sometimes it takes a good 15 minutes to get a clearance out of the busy airspace around here so I figured I could pick up en route. I filed an IFR plan so it would be in the system and proceeded to fly the flight plan at VFR altitudes. I got a hold of Socal approach shortly after departure and after 15 minutes or so he had us cleared to KLAS. Flight went great at 11000 feet and we were given the CRESO3 Arrival procedure. Hadn't done any of these in training but it was pretty straightforward. Plugged it into the 430W and loaded up on the iPad. Handed off controller after controller until told to expect visual for 1L. Vegas approach vectored us off the final approach course a little (assuming to make way for traffic) but had us back on quickly. Cleared for the visual and I followed the ILS all the way down and landed as the sun was setting. Smoothest landing I've ever made and parked at Signature. They were incredible and treated us great- shuttled us over to the hotel for the awards ceremony and we made it in time.

It was the first time I've landed at a Class B airport. I know McCarran is probably less busy than some of the other Bravos but it was a big event for me! It was just like flying into any other airport though. I kept my speed up until short final so they wouldn't have to ask..

This morning we flew back VFR and it was very easy to get a VFR clearance out of the Bravo there. Probably because it was 7 am!

I am really enjoying having the instrument rating for benefits like being able to confidently fly into this airport and not be intimidated at all. SO much fun!

13040899_10153541986833316_66044825417187798_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back