• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Trip report and a few questions.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I finally got to fly somewhere!. We are moving to Spanish Fork area in Utah, and I needed to walk the new house with an inspector. SO Friday morning at 6:30 AM, I left El Monte, KEMT, and headed off to the north, northeast.. I have flown to St George several times so that part of the trip was normal.. So Cal approach to LA Center hand offs went well... Hytop to MMM direct via Garmin Pilot Magenta line.

Flying through the Las Vegas Bravo for the 2nd time ever went well,,, did get vectored several times to avoided the big birds. Is interesting to be flying around 737's and others... I was directly over Mc Clarran but was moved east about 5 miles... Off to Mesquite and north direct to Delta. KDTA,

Fuel burn seamed high,,, I was planning on 38 gal total to KSPK but about Kilford, KMLF, was re-thinking things.. LEft tank was at ZERO for some time, with between 5 to 10 gal on the right tank... Continued on the Delta to get fuel on the left tank, and 10 miles out switched tot eh right tank to land.

Filled up the left tank, 22 gals,,, and 14.8 in the right... the gage was showing less the 5 in the right that still had 10 in it.. So thinking that EDM-830 monitor may be a good thing to monitor fuel flow!.

On to Spanish Fork... Great place.. get there about 11:30 Pacific time. looked at the house, ate and left for St. George where I was going to spend the night. Straight shot, at 10,500... almost a smooth flight. So from KDTA to KSPK, then to KSGU was another 21 gal of 100LL... need to look at my notes in the plane for the time...

Leaving Saturday afternoon about 4:30pm pacific, headed off to MMM again up to 10,5k... across Vegas, and home by 7:00 pm... Have not filled up the plane yet, will tomorrow .

Flying over Vegas, there was a ADS-B traffic showing up on my same heading.. Vegas approach called vectors to avoided because they said they had no altitude info on the plane,,, Which I found interesting as they were on Garmin Pilot showing 2k above me... as I turned, I saw the plane, Piper Arrow T tail...

I followed the Arrow all the way to the pass, there were slightly west of Hytop going through but they were only about 25 miles ahead of me. I did record the tail number, and went to Flight Aware to see there track. Thy left KCDC Cedar City at the same time I left St George... traveled the same route,,, and only gained maybe 30 miles at the most, landing 25 min before me at Bracket Field , KPOC.

So the Turbo Arrow flying 2k feet above my little 140 did not gain much time in the overall picture.... I really like my little hot rod 140!..

So now the questions:

1, Fuel burn and stock gages... are they really that far off??.. I normally never go below 5 gal showing so this was the first time I was thinking of running the left tank dry,... and will the EDM-830 give good fuel flow data....

2. When flying through a Class B area, is planning on going straight over the top of the B airport a good idea, and if not how do you find the best path??...

3. In the Mode C vale, should ATC have the altitude information form a planes transponder, swaking 1200??.. I thought that was why we have mode C transponders!..

It was a great flight, tons of fun to get places and get work done... Flying is FUN!.

20180504_102452.jpg

20180504_110809.jpg

20180504_175323.jpg

20180505_174249.jpg

Latest posts

Back