• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Tanis pre-heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrua

Reaction score
It's not that cold out yet but since this plane is new to me, I decided to test out the pre-heater.

It seemed like there were differing opinions on how long is appropriate to run the pre-heater, I decided just to collect some data :).

The block/oil temperature started out at 56-58F.
After 45 minutes, the pre-heater was at 195F, the block around 78F, and oil at the dipstick 102F. The outside air temperature stayed within a couple degrees from the start of the test to the end.

So that's a ~42F increase in oil temperature after 45 minutes. 1hr-1.5hr should be good enough for me even when ground OAT are around 0F.

Thrown in for fun are some pics just after flying for 1.5hr, 2 min taxi, and just a minute or two after shutting down. I wanted to see if the oil cooler had some cold spots on it that might indicate it being clogged (not having any other symptoms, just wanted to take a look). Seems to look alright.

before_block.png

before_block2.png

before_dipstick.png

45min_block.png

45min_block2.png

45min_dipstick.png

afterflying_oilcooler.png

afterflying_exhaustmanifold.png

afterflying_cylinderhead.png

afterflying_oilfilter.png

Latest posts

Back