• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Stratus 1 - $499 + Shipping

PropFan

Reaction score
I'm spending the $$$ to upgrade my Garmin GTX-330 to extended squitter (i.e., ADS-B out), so I'm also upgrading from the Stratus 1 to the Stratus 2 to take full advantage of whatever traffic information is out there. Also, my GTX-330 has TIS, which provides excellent traffic information in the area where I fly.

As a result, I am selling my perfectly good Stratus 1 for $100 below the new cost. I have found it to be invaluable for weather, NOTAMS, METARS and TFRs. This will be a good solution for anyone wanting that type of information while holding out on compliance with the 2020 ADS-B out rule.

In Flight.jpg

Stratus 01.jpg

Stratus 02.jpg

raymos

Reaction score
Just wish I had the $$$ to pick it up. I'm still taking PPL lessons and making small improvements to my 66 Cherokee.

Mudman

Reaction score
I have a Stratus 1 for sale also if anyone is still looking. Same price.

Sent from my iPad using Piper Forum

kfbagt

Reaction score
can i ask a technical question? How will you use the stratus 2 to get traffic while using your 330es to provide the ads-b out? I understand that your are fulfilling the ads-b out requirement so therefore the traffic is now enabled for your aircraft. But how do you receive it? how does your stratus 2 pick up this traffic info that is now being broadcast to your aircraft?

sorry if this has been covered before, I have not been able to find any info on the matter.

thanks, Paul

bgmac

Reaction score
If I understand it right. You can get traffic transmitted from ground towers without ADSB-out. You cannot get traffic aircraft to aircraft however.

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Paul,
Effectively yes, that is how all ADS-B in services work, regardless of who makes them. Once your aircraft is 'participating', sending ADS-B out position reports, then a traffic packet is sent out to your aircraft periodically that includes all known traffic in the hockey puck surrounding your aircraft. This isn't private, other nonparticipating aircraft can also use that traffic information, but how useful it is depends on how close to you they are.
In addition, the receivers directly receive the ADS-B out broadcasts from all aircraft in range, so those are displayed regardless of the availability of the ground TIS-B broadcasts. The receiver (stratus, gdl-39, etc) is responsible for resolving and filtering duplicates received from multiple sources (direct air and TIS-B).

Mark

kfbagt

Reaction score
Paul,
Effectively yes, that is how all ADS-B in services work, regardless of who makes them. Once your aircraft is 'participating', sending ADS-B out position reports, then a traffic packet is sent out to your aircraft periodically that includes all known traffic in the hockey puck surrounding your aircraft. This isn't private, other nonparticipating aircraft can also use that traffic information, but how useful it is depends on how close to you they are.
In addition, the receivers directly receive the ADS-B out broadcasts from all aircraft in range, so those are displayed regardless of the availability of the ground TIS-B broadcasts. The receiver (stratus, gdl-39, etc) is responsible for resolving and filtering duplicates received from multiple sources (direct air and TIS-B).

Mark

i understand what you are saying. The part I can't wrap my head around is this; the packet of data that is sent back to you for participating must somehow be encoded to your specific aircraft. Your stratus 2 does not have any unique identifiers that would allow it to pick up an encoded traffic packet. (assuming that is how it works?) Are you saying that when a plane that has ads-b out flies in a particular area that they just blindly send out the traffic info to all aircraft in that area?

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know the specifics, but the ADS-B receiver (Stratus, GDL39, etc) figures out what airplane you are from the ADS-B out broadcasts. Not that difficult, 'that airplane says it is within a few feet of where I (the receiver is), that must be my airplane!' The packet then has the identifier for the target airplane so the receiver can determine the packet is for it. The packets aren't encrypted or private in any way, so every receiver in range can 'hear' them, remember this is radio, not point to point connections. So every receiver can paint the traffic in that packet on their display, but if the target aircraft is too far away it may not be useful, and won't necessarily include all the aircraft that are interesting to that pilot.
And always remember it is just another tool in the avoidance toolbox. NORDO or non-transponder aircraft will not be displayed, and like every piece of technology bugs will probably be discovered over time. The Mark 1 eyeball is still needed, and a tool that should be used constantly!

Mark

Latest posts