• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

So much for a pre-buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrc1962

Reaction score
So I'm in annual for the first annual with my mechanic. He found a lot of things that should have been caught on a pre-buy. Unfortunately, he didn't do the pre-buy.

There were two pencil whipped AD's...one on the oil cooler hoses and one on the control yoke U-joints. There was a few broken teeth on the starter ring gear and just about every hose is hard as a rock. The prop hasn't been off the plane since 1998 so it's going in for inspection. Fingers crossed there.

Fortunately, the engine looks good, but most of this other stuff should have been caught on a pre-buy. Some f the issues found were considered airworthy but nothing was on the verge of failure. My AI said based on the logs, and going over the plane, this is probably the first good annual it's had in a while.

On the plus side, the airframe is clean...as in zero corrosion, and the engine is sound. I installed the Orion 650's today. On Tuesday we start on the one piece windshield and next Friday I'll pull the yoke U-joints to and complete that AD.

Latest posts

Back