• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Rear air scoop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a feature on newer PA28/PA32. It feeds the overhead vents, may have a fan, and cooling coils as well.

It is guarded by a wire mesh to keep FOD and insects out. The wire degenerates and falls apart eventually.

The other issue, is that in most aircraft, the valve that closes this overhead vent, allows a bit of leak. Not a factor during most of the year, but if you are in -20C temps at cruise, it is a factor, especially for the rear seat occupants.

I created a slide in barrier out of Kydex that I put in during the winter, blocks the vent tightly. It is a parallelogram, with beveled edges to allow for an easier slide in fit. I can post the dimensions for anyone interested, but you will likely need to play a bit with it in your own plane for a best fit.

For the summer, I used exactly the same type of piece, but drilled some 4000, 1/8" holes, with 3/16" C-C spacing, in the Kydex, using a little jig and a big sticker with a spreadsheet drawn template. Yes, it took a while. That allows it to vent, but prevents a bee getting in there, and precipitating into the classic Cessna vent nightmare.

The kydex pieces can be easily removed with a sharp tool, that ziptie at the edge makes it even easier to grab it.

Below is a shot of my "summer" kydex piece installed.

Just an idea others may find useful.

* Orest

J7g2nHDxaKexbWg65owftaXBA-g8xyX7vUnYrrt83vYRjf3p6tUYqh-tETM26dl-IyvNwfiHy7tQkDeXsN-YZrSQSsxJRK3Pp3ddg1IBFisGMNGqRY8n2R2kdacxKyMTAHm8VlFecHcJRU0KLPpQmQRLXm64K-lIMG53VZVuPHDXllEUZrTW4kJZWTet8wscYonsYoXQHci_nJqSX0C0OggnbatPNViOvKCWM9C2qjiXEm7w06AO53KLFA87PQQw5k4q5FoONjzm5-zYeIiW_Unz1fub1cS2isIX-_N0bW0LyMWivkFgYB-AJFNIu-lIDQ5GgsEB8eQ_9-JXwlhbyW-Qpyh1bOOvkL43tnxPlB1eW8o1YcF-b5Iq5XmBprFF-97Fxn8JQp05MVUSEmtUVHiF3uA53yDbWPzANpliSvzOun-hxIj792dL913zRRN4Ik8e2HI_pLiym7jNiD2x7b5hLRABpR1WtMSquWGCDiEF7PLrwo_dC_XOlDWCS_V5PlUtUy_Bx25ZVi8OzU1IYSJVlMCY8wNRvbYRE2a75n8zK4ChQyAASrVa31ahGlsPZurdr-TBjtuaTMnd8zhEpo4_MYnGZWAf0CpO5xxZBzx3DV2hDpVCPIFG1YwYERL8Gce0ahir3O-yeSWZ8KvmSDfZtA=w1134-h850-no

Latest posts

Back