• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Full Interior Project - Piper PA-23-235 Apache

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I had started a thread on this project already, but I couldn't find it with a search, so here is a new one that starts from the beginning. I started this project over two years ago well before my panel and engine OH projects began. Now it's finally starting to come to an end, so I wanted to share the story and show some pictures. I know how everyone likes pictures. :D

As I said, I started this project over two years ago. It was the first major project I undertook after my Dad (previous owner) passed away. The main goal was to convert the aircraft from 5 seats to 6 due to the size of my family. I already had seat tracks in the 6th seat spot, so that part was easy. The hard parts were, the 6th seat took away my main baggage space, and with a 6th seat I needed another emergency escape location. A call to John at Diamond Aire cured both of those issues. He provided me with the STC and materials for both an aft baggage area extension behind the aft bulkhead, as well as the 6th seat and emergency exit window next to the pilot seat. With most projects like this the domino theory was in full force. You know, since we're doing this, it's a good time to do that, and since we're doing that, we might as well do this also. :eek:

With the change of the pilot side window I decided to just go ahead and change all the other windows as well. We upgraded to the speed slope window 11 years ago and it was the smokey gray color. The new emergency exit window would be the same gray while all the other original windows were clear, so I just changed them all so they would all match.

Since we basically had to remove the entire interior to change the windows, it was a good time to upgrade the insulation and sound proofing throughout the cabin. Again I enlisted the help of Diamond Aire and ordered their light weight low density sound proofing and insulation kit.

With the installation of the rear baggage area, we were forced to move the existing O2 tank location. It was an old Scott system that wouldn't hold air, and I didn't have any masks or hardware for. Since the tank was due for hydrostatic testing anyway, we decided to just replace the whole works with a new 6-place system from Aerox.

Since the entire interior was being removed, it seemed like a good idea at the time to replace it as well. It wasn't all bad, but 50+ years old, and showing it's age. However, fabrication and installation of the baggage area, windows, and insulation took quite a bit longer than planned, so we ended up putting the interior project further down the road which was a good thing since it allowed easier access for my Avionics installation without having to tear apart a brand new interior. Besides, I needed my airplane back that summer (2016) and didn't have time for another month or two of down time in the peak flying season. Later that fall I did have the seats recovered since I needed the 6th seat anyway. That got accomplished and the rest of the interior was put off to a later date when everything else was finished.

Fast forward to this year, and the full interior project has begun again. I dropped the plane off at a small Airport in North Omaha in early April, where a small one man shop has been doing interiors for many years. He began with the new aft baggage area since that didn't have any interior on it all post install two years ago and it was kind of the key to the rest of the side panels all fitting and aligning together. With the aft baggage complete he now has the old headliner and old ceiling insulation removed and is working on wiring issues related to overhead lighting prior to installing the new insulation and headliner. After that, the sidewalls and carpet will go in fast to finish the job.

Below I'll begin to post the pictures and explanations. I'll attempt to start from the beginning two years ago, and work forward to now. Hope everyone enjoys it and finds some value to this thread.

Latest posts

Back