• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Prop pitch advice......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killrocks

Reaction score
So, I've upgraded to the RAM 160HP STC, installed the Poweflow exhaust on my 73 PA28-140......already have Mattson gap seals and VGs. Factory wheel pants.

Static RPM after the piston install was 2400rpm. Static RPM with the Powerflow is 2425.

Full throttle in level flight at 4,000ft. MSL, 85*f, gets me 2820rpm, verified using a digital optical tach. I didn't let it stabilize and check speed as I didn't want to fly at that RPM for more than it took to measure the RPM.

This is with a 58" prop with the Mattson tip mod.

I want to repitch for better cruise (speed or efficiency, depending on throttle setting). I don't want to give up too much climb as there is a lot of high/hot flying conditions and airports here.

Guys like Jim C have a lot of aero mods and are pitched out to 62" and 63". Hershy bar vs. tapered wing aside, I feel like I have essentially turned my Cherokee Cruiser into a short wing Warrior, which has a 60" pitch standard. What will my performance look like at 60"? Should I consider maybe even trying 61"? Would I still make static RPM with 61" on a 90 or 100^F day? How would 60 or 61 effect my static RPM? Will it affect my absolute ceiling?

I am planning on installing the nose strut fairing and deleting my big tail beacon seen if that makes a difference, these are supposed to be some of the more effective basic aero mods.

Latest posts

Back