• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Problem jug?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Plane is down for annual right now. Cyl #4 failed compression check, and they identified the exhaust valve as the culprit. This same jug was off for the same reason 3 or 4 years ago (probably about ~200-250 hrs) for the same reason, and the valve and valve seat were repaired at that time. Engine has ~1000 hrs SMOH.

I asked my mechanic if there's anything I'm doing operationally that's causing this. He said that it's possible I was letting the engine run too rich. I generally lean out pretty good in cruise, but I am not always religious about it on the ground, especially after landing while taxiing back to the hangar, or in an extended wait for takeoff at a towered field.

What, if anything, should I be thinking about for a cylinder that's had a leaky exhaust valve twice in a relatively short period of time?

As an aside, I never noticed any issues with this cylinder from my engine monitor, at least in CHTs--cyls 3&4 trace pretty much the same line on the CHT plot, and both are consistently a little higher than 1&2. My #4 EGT sensor started getting erratic earlier this year, so it's getting replaced right now, but if there were any clues to be had from it they were lost in the ratty data.

I didn't see any clues from the monitor in CHT or EGT when the previous work was done to #4, either.

Latest posts

Back