• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Primer knob not locked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff

Reaction score
Watch that primer lock on your Piper. Took a flight Saturday about 7 pm , and after a nice 25 minutes of watching the sunset, I headed back to the airport. When in the pattern, I turned base, and the engine started running real rough. Had the carb heat on, and even thought to myself, that is really working better than before. Turned final still rough. Even turned the carb heat off, and no change.

Landed and taxed to the hangar, and cut the mixture to stop the engine. Not stopping, but real low rpms. She finally stops. Put it up, and wondered what was wrong. The next afternoon, I went back to the plane and checked everything I could. Cables to carb looked ok. Then I got in the plane to start it, as I was reaching for the primer, I noticed it was out, just a tad bit, and was not locked. Primed the engine with my five pumps, and rotated the primer knob to lock it. This time, I double checked the notch to ensure it was indeed locked. She ran like a charm. Did several starts and stops of the engine. Then flew to a neighboring airport. All is well.

I learned a good lesson about double checking that little primer knob. Just passing on to you guys, I know it could have been much worse. But my pride is not so important that I will not share my close call, so maybe someone reading this, will watch out for a potential snake bite, of an unlocked primer knob.

Sent from my iPad using Piper Forum

Latest posts

Back