• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Power tug for Dakota

Aviator305

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a tug, preferably the NoseDragger NDE-1 or NDG-6...basically interested in any tug that does not involve hooking anything to the tow plate.

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Nosedragger, worked not badly, but just not as secure as something that clamps on. If you have uneven pavement, inclines or have to contend with winter, not the best choice.

I'm using an EZ Power Tow, with the Piper adapter and the securing plate. Works very well, clears the pant and provides a solid attachment, without using hooks like the factory tow bar.

* Orest

Rick G

1977 Lance P32R-300
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Sidewinder? My Lance is getting heavier every time I push it back. Or maybe It's me getting older. :oops:

06CSaratoga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I bought a golf cart and a towbar for about what a sidewinder would have cost. Welded a receiver and hitch (50 bucks) onto the frame and called it a tow vehicle.

Added bonus, I don’t have to walk to the head anymore. 😂

rick440

Adventure One
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Best Tug - A3 model. Anyone using this tug -- thoughts, comments ?

mona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I asked about the NoseDragger for my Dakota, Airtug insisted I would be much better served by the NFE-4. That’s what I got. I like it. For a heavy plane, I would not consider a tug that didn’t use the nose weight as part of the tug traction. All my problems with my prior tug were traction/weight related.

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I asked about the NoseDragger for my Dakota, Airtug insisted I would be much better served by the NFE-4. That’s what I got. I like it. For a heavy plane, I would not consider a tug that didn’t use the nose weight as part of the tug traction. All my problems with my prior tug were traction/weight related.
Traction is an issue for sure when you are fighting, rather than enlisted the weight of the aircraft.

Presume you have wheel pants, any issues with that? What does the attach cable connect to on your nose wheel? I noticed that Pipers are NOT listed as one of the aircraft types.

* Orest

mona

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It originally came with a Piper fork attachment, but that unfortunately didn’t work with our wheel fairing - not enough clearance. I think it had worked for someone else with a 235 model fairing. At my request, they came up with a Bogert towbar style attachment at my recommendation and sent me a prototype which also turned out to be the final attachment. I like that style a lot better. I’ve attached some photos, but everyone’s fairings are a little different so one might need to make precise measurements of the attachment point before assuming it would work.

It works great unless one forgets a step, so don’t skip any steps during the loading process. I think it is good value for the price. The tug is quite large and heavy, so I had to arrange to have it delivered to the airport rather than my home. We thought about driving to pick it up ourselves from Ohio, but the weight would have still been an issue during unloading.

Attachments

apl99

Piper Saratoga II HP
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Sidewinder? My Lance is getting heavier every time I push it back. Or maybe It's me getting older. :oops:
I have a Sidewinder for my Saratoga. I’ve been very happy with it. It folds up and fits nicely in the baggage area.

Latest posts