• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

painting plastics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkvet

Reaction score
I remember some older threads mentioning SEM paints for repainting just about anything plastic or vinyl in interiors. I found some SEM paints on aircraft spruce: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/colorcoat.php and was hoping someone could confirm that this is what I need to use on my 68 cherokee 180D interior. The panel is in good physical condition it just needs to be painted.

I was also going to order a decal/emblem kit. I have seen that there are a handful of places that make the emblem kits and if anyone knows which mfg's make the best quality emblems or if there are some I should stay away from I'd appreciate any recommendations.

I'm going to attach a pic or two of my panel. I was simply going to repaint it all black (satin???) but would certainly consider other options if anyone has any suggestions. The small plate where all the fuses mount is/was a light blue color. Then, I've also got the wood grain plastic strips.

What about the color of all the off white plastics? Looks like an almond color (old appliances) but that might not have been the way it was in 68?

What say those interior experts? All black? My interior is blue gray / original and in fairly good condition. I am also planning on replacing the weather seals around the doors and repainting the vinyl headliner, etc. I read somewhere that the shoe polish with foam tip is easy and works great for this???

So as you can see I'm looking at a DIY interior refresh for the ole' cherokee and would love any and all advice you can give. I'm in no need for new seats, upholstery or carpet. Those are in pretty good condition and would not be a good investment at this time.

20140924_083710.jpg

20140924_083720.jpg

20140924_083734.jpg

Latest posts

Back