• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA32RT-300 Nosewheel Steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otterf18

Reaction score
I've noticed some play in my nose wheel steering and am doing an assisted annual so took a hard look at it. It appears to me that the steering bellcrank should be touching or very close to the steering arm bushings on the steering arm.

With the aircraft on jacks if I rotate the nosewheel to where the steering arm bushing touches one side of the steering bellcrank, it has about 1/4 inch clearance on the opposite side between the steering bellcrank and the steering arm bushing. This allows quite a bit of left and right play in the nosewheel steering. The hole where the steering bellcrank attaches to the frame is elongated, apparently for adjustment, so that the steering bellcrank can be moved forward to take up any slack.

My question is shoiuld I move the steering bellcrank forward so that it just touches both steering arm bushings or should there be a small bit of play when it is adjusted properly? I am inclined to think it should just touch both bushings.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back