• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA28 Antenna Installation & Cable Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N2897M

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 1978 PA28161 Warrior II that had an avionics retrofit in 2008 (Aspen, G430 WAAS, etc). I am now looking to replace the two COMM antennas (which are what I believe to be the original lower performance VTP-17s) with RAMI AV-529s. I realize the footprints are different and understand there will be some physical mount reworking - no problem with that (some corrosion will need to be thoroughly cleaned as well). However, the avionics quotes I am getting back all seem to indicate the COAX cables may need to be replaced (though they have not looked at the plane).

I understand there are several different flavors of COAX cable (the original RG58 and the newer RG400), but would a new antenna installation necessitate a cable change? Do the newer antennas not support existing COAX cabling? If I have the RG58, should I invest in the newer RG400?

I am not sure what cabling I have (I will crawl back and try to see next time I am down - though not sure how to identify each type), but just wanted to get some input on the subject from those in the know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Latest posts

Back