• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA28-235 or -180 as my first airplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm still shopping for my first airplane and came across a PA28-235 with 600 SMOH for about $50k. It's at the top end of my budget, but is equipped for IFR, has a Flight o Matic AP installed, and has a nice paint job and decent interior. I think it's a good buy for a -235. Having said that, I don't know if that AP is any good.

The question that I want input on is whether or not the -235 makes any sense for me. I think PA28s right now offer much better value than comparable Cessnas. Most of my 150 hours are in -160s, so I'm very comfortable with the type. I am a young guy and expect that most of my flying will either be by myself or with one passenger. I want to get trained in backcountry flying, and also want to get IFR training, mostly for safety. I live at sea level in Boston, and will be living here for 3 or 4 more years. Since I don't know exactly what my main mission will be yet, I want an aircraft that's decent at most things, and that won't obliterate my bank account. The -180s I was looking at seem like they would be very adequate, but the -235 sounds even more versatile and this one fits my budget. Could I pull the throttle back if I wanted to and keep my fuel burn in the realm of a -180, or am I going to be burning through gas money at a much faster rate?

The other option I see is a -180 for $35k with 1600 SMOH. It has a FP prop, but has the -A3A engine installed. I've reached out to the company that holds the STC to convert it to an -A1A and install a CS prop to get an idea of what that would cost. Seems like it may be worthwhile down the road. I figure I could even fly it FP to overhaul and have the engine rebuilt as an -A1A at that point, since I don't need the performance yet.

Can you guys provide any insight into whether I should stick to my plan of waiting for a good deal on a -180, or if I should jump on this -235?

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back