• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA28-181 Cockpit error or carb problem??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gas_pumps

Reaction score
Ready to go on a week long trip. Luggage secured, headsets on etc. Primed 4 strokes which is typical on this plane and it started on two blades - then quit. Oops - forgot to set mixture to full rich. Now. I believe that this thing is really starved. Primed it 5 strokes and set mixture to full rich. Hit the starter and it started again. This time I advanced the throttle a little to keep it running, then attempted to throttle back to idle. It got really rough; then advance throttle to keep it running. Tried to idle again with no luck. Got really rough. Tried to stop the engine by going to idle cutoff and it would not quit - just shook like hell.

Finally gave up and had to cut the mags to get the engine to stop. Unloaded the plane and decided on alternative transportation. Four days later, the mechanic fired it up and can find nothing wrong after several tries. Do I have an intermittent carb problem or do I have a much more serious cockpit/pilot error problem. This is really bugging me. Any advice appreciated.

Latest posts

Back