• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Drop at 1200-1500 RPM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papa_fritas

Reaction score
PA-28-181, IO-360

Hi all,

We've been chasing an issue that I tried to search the forum for, but can't seem to find an answer to. Plane is co-owned and only flown by two pilots. During run-up or when landing, we notice an RPM drop/hesitation. As you increase the throttle through 1200-1500, the RPM drops a few hundred RPM. After 1500 RPM, it continues to increase smoothly. No issues in cruise and no issues during mag checks.

Our A&P initially tried to adjust the mixture by turning the screw that controls the mixture (I don't know a lot more than that in terms of the technical side). When that didn't work, we found that the carburetor had never been overhauled. He called the company and they offered to swap ours with an overhauled one for $1k. New carb in and the shop claimed the issue stopped, but it did not.

We don't want to keep replacing parts and are trying to diagnose the issue. Any thoughts on this? I used to be part of a club and one of the rental planes did this all the time. I squawked it multiple times and the mechanics there told me no big deal. Our mechanic now doesn't seem to think it's a safety of flight issue, but as the owners, we want to be sure we aren't missing an obvious sign of a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Latest posts

Back