• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA28-180 fuel tank replacement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed fuel stains under the left wing, so at the annual we pulled the left tank to see where the leak was and get it fixed. When we (My AP and I) pulled it, the list of places it was NOT leaking would have been shorter. Instead of sending it for repair, I found a salvage tank in Arizona that appears almost new.

The issue is....the screw holes on the inboard side line up great, the outboard requires a little persuasion with a line up tool but they line up too. The issue is the rear holes, top and bottom (more so the top) are off up to a full hole diameter.

The salvage yard I got the tank from said it would fit and gave me a 14day window to return it. Circumstances didn`t allow us to get to it until later, so now it`s mine.

I packaged up the old tank to send it for rebuild today unless I can find a fix....my AP has never had this issue crop up. Any helpfull hints?

Latest posts

Back