• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-28 Wide Belt Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mssimon10

Reaction score
Ciao,

Im a fairly new owner, but I'm getting pretty close to my witts end with the alternator belt. I have a 1974 140 that seems to have come standard with A/C and therfore the thinner belt. The AC compressor is long gone, but the thin belt is still there. I had the alternator replaced last year and since then the belt lasts 10-20 hours before it twists or shreds. This last time was after 2 flights for a total of 5 hour. I love the platform but if I could easily sell it I would at this point.

There's one A&P on the field and it's pretty obvious (to me) they're doing something wrong or at least missing something. Had the belt shred in Delaware on the way to NY and that replacement lasted nearly 100 hours until the guys in Florida touched it again.

Any tips? Recommendations? Anything I should be looking at? I know alignment is crucial and the alternator brackets need to be tight, but I'm sort of at the mercy of the A&P. They've suggested converting it but the only conversation kit I can find is for the 180 and its pricey. Is there a way to just replace the flywheel and pulley without the clutch or any other components for the AC?

Really appreciate the help!

Latest posts

Back