• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Overhaul Question - 1972 Arrow II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ready1998

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - first post here!

I have a 1972 Piper Arrow II that was overhauled in 1982 (yup - I know. Been a while) by Mattituck. She currently has 850 hours SMOH, runs with compressions in the mid 70's, and oil analysis have come back clean so far. We're currently tracking the Oil Changes (only have done one so far since my Annual in April) and keeping our fingers crossed that the engine remains healthy. We're hoping to get another 2 or 3 years out of her before making the investment for an overhaul.

Now this engine was the IO-360-C1C varient - the one that had the poor TBO 1400 hour until later modifications (a redesigned cam shaft I believe) were done in 1973 and beyond to increase the TBO to 1600.

My question is, would Mattituck have been able to further increase the TBO during that first overhaul?

I ask because I'm curious to know if I were to get another Overhaul done, will I always be limited to the -C1C's 1400 hour TBO? OR should I just pony up the extra 10-15k and get a new engine??? I mean, Turbo'd be nice ;)

Any and all help, suggestions, flames, and rants are appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

Latest posts

Back