• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Our Summer Trip 2014 Part 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WebRuss

Reaction score
This article is part 4 of a multi-part review of our summer trip from Florida to Idaho then out to Tillamook Oregon then east to NYC then South to Tennessee then home to Florida.

Day 12 July 20th
This morning we departed from Johnson creek and flew to Rock springs. It was sad to go as we had such a great time there. The care takers Phil and Roxie are some of the best folks I have ever met. They really do a great job keeping that place clean and running smoothly.

takeoff-3u2-347.jpg

I want to mention my death defying takeoff, not to brag but as a learning point. We were 200 lbs under gross weight and the time was 7:30 am and density altitude was 5900. I had to do a combo soft field into a max performance takeoff just to clear the trees. I will admit it frightened me when I had to yank the plane into the air and then ride just above stall at about 50 fpm. Then slowly and I mean ever so slowly creep over to the canyon wall and use the updraft to gain altitude.

Once we got going and I calmed down from the takeoff, the rest of the flight was good. We flew south out of the mountains and made one last stop at Payette S75 for a full tank of that inexpensive mogas. We picked up flight following as we traveled southwest towards Biose and I am glad we did. They were able to help us get around some rain storms on our intended path.

kboi-krks-374.png

Once we got past the rain in Boise the skies were clear and the tail wind was something! I tried to keep an average altitude of 10,500 but that was difficult due to the lumpy air. Air speed indicator showed about 90 knots. The GPS showed a ground speed of about 120 knots! Must admit it was a bit rough going and my arms were tired from fighting the turbulence. We did however, get a nice look at Salt Lake Utah in the distance as we headed back to Rock Springs
salt-lake-utah-370.jpg

This time our landing at Rock Springs was on that huge runway 27. I had to keep telling myself that I was at the proper pattern altitude because the runway was so big and it looked too close.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDxAknq8z9E[/ame]

Day 13 July 21st
We spent the night in Rock Springs at the Holiday Inn Express and then flew out early in the morning. I knew that the takeoff would be a very slow climb so I was prepared for it. I did not use flaps and just let the plane roll down runway 27, it is plenty long, until it was ready to fly and then slowly climbed up. Going east was much easier as there is no steep mountain to clear and a nice open valley to follow along through the mountains. I essentially followed highway 30 all the way out of the rocky mountains.

mbw-panorama-348.jpg

The Route on SkyVector

Once we exited the rockies, I flew almost due east then turned slightly northeastward to our refuel stop of KANW Ainsworth Regional Airport in Ainsworth, Nebraska. One interesting fact about this little airport is that the FAA has a big office here and I believe several flight service folks work at that office. However I did not see them as they were behind locked doors. The FBO did have a really nice pilot lounge and some really comfy couches, which made for a nice snack break.

kdvn-from-air-349.jpg

Ainsworth Regional Airport was just about on the edge of the terrain change. Once east of this airport everything started getting greener, and a whole lot closer to sea level. I was able to fly at lower altitudes and get bounced about much less.

From Ainsworth Regional Airport we continued east at a considerable speed, we got a 30 knot tail wind for an average of 140 kts ground speed, to our evening stop of Davenport Municipal Airport in Davenport, Iowa. We did encounter a few light rain storms that forced some course deviations on the way to our next stop. As always I was on flight following and they were a big help. They even asked me for a few PIREPS as we passed close to a few of the storms. I thought it was cool that many other pilots got to benefit from my sharing about the storms, their intensity, tops and bottoms and the air conditions around them.

The Route on SkyVector

The landing at Davenport was a bit of a challenge. There were storms in the areas and the wind was a right quartering cross-wind gusting at about 17 knots. I really had to work hard to get the plane down safely on the runway.
flightaware-kdvn1-346.png

I had my right foot all the way down on the right rudder and it was still not quite enough to keep us straight. I added 8 knots, half the speed of the crosswind, to my airspeed so I was landing at about 78-80 knots. With that extra speed I had to work a bit harder to get the plane down to the runway. In the video you will notice my hand on the dashboard. That was to help keep me steady as I fought the crosswind. After landing you will notice that we get pushed to the left and I have to steer the plane back to the center.

Piper Cherokee landing 15 KDVN:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoDBkmDUjbM[/ame]

The folks at Davenport were super nice. Since I bought gas and planned to spend the night, they loaned us a crew car to take to our hotel. This car was a couple of notches above the average courtesy car we normally use. This was a super nice, late model American sedan with plush leather seats and super good A/C. Another amazing bonus was a Cracker Barrel restaurant right across the parking lot from our hotel. As luck would have it we had a gift card for Cracker Barrel and feasted like kings!

Part 5 coming soon!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back